day 11 on keto so what is keto? Sugar is the problem and a basic how to start a keto diet

Jürgen and I went out to breakfast today. We like to do that because it requires no babysitting costs. I had eggs with bacon bits and mozzarella cheese with tomatoes and pesto. I also had a cappuccino with cocoa powder on top. I brought my own full-fat whipping cream to add to the coffee. No bread. Just fat! Sounds counter-intuitive. But that is keto. It is a diet high in fat, moderate in protein and low in carbs. What is the reasoning behind it? Your body can use two kinds for fuel. It can use sugar in the form of Glucose and Fructose or it can use ketones that come from fat. Most of us gain our energy from carbs. Carbs come from bread, potatoes, rice, beans, corn, vegetables, fruit and processed sugar. It is a quick energy. But when we have had enough sugar our body will produce insulin. Insulin is important because it helps to remove extra sugar from our blood and store it in our cells as fat. As you probably already know extra sugar in the blood can kill you. And we have an epidemic of Type 2 diabetics that shoot insulin to remove sugar from their blood. Without this insulin, they would be in trouble, or even die. One of my oldest friends died this winter because she was a type 2 diabetic. She had lost her health insurance, and ran out of insulin. The results were tragic. The present thinking on the treatment of Type 2 diabetes is give insulin. But there is another answer. The body needs insulin because we feed it on sugar. But we do not need so much insulin if we eat little or no carbs. If we fuel our body on ketones instead of sugar we start to burn fat. But as long as you eat carbs you will store fat. Insulin is also the hormone that tells you to store fat. This all made good sense to me. Sugar is my problem. I live in the land of great bread. Carbs are my problem. And when I eat carbs, I have large amounts of insulin in my body making me very good at storing fat. I am genetically programmed to store fat. I am very, very good at storing fat. The only way I can stop storing it is to stop eating carbs. At the moment the only carbs I eat are from vegetables. And only the vegetables that are grown above ground. Salad greens, kale, cabbage, etc. No carrots, potatoes or starchy vegetables. But I also do not eat wildly large amounts of protein. So I get meat once a day in a moderate amount. Instead I drink coffee with full fat cream, I eat fatty cheese, eggs, avocado, a small amount of nuts (they have carbs) and butter, good olive oil and black olives. I also take MTC oil and coconut oil. And I drink a lot of water. I try to eat fewer than 20 grams of carbs a day. I eat 70% fat, 25 % protein and 5% carbs. I track that on my fitness pal. It is a free app. I am going to post a few videos that explain the carb problem and how to start a keto diet. Tomorrow I will give you a keto shopping list and talk about meal prep. I also recommend a book called the obesity code by Jason Fung. Please leave me a comment to encourage me to keep going. And share this blog if you think this might help a friend or family member. Keto is neato! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24945404-the-obesity-code

Comments

Popular Posts